2020 Young Artist’s Concert
The Bach Society of Charleston is sponsoring its fourth Young Artists Concert of outstanding pre-college instrumental and vocal students from South Carolina, ages 12 to 18, with the objective of promoting the music of J. S. Bach and other Baroque composers and showcasing Lowcountry talent. The selected students will perform at a March 7 concert at 4:00 p.m. during the Bach Festival, March 5- 8, 2020, and will have the opportunity to participate in a master class with members of the Charleston Baroque Voices and Players. Those performing in the recital will receive an award of $100, 3 tickets to a festival concert of their choosing and an invitation to a Master Class on period instruments.
While our professional concert programs are performed on period instruments, it will not be required of our student performers. Transcriptions for instruments such as saxophone or marimba will be accepted. However, we do encourage attention to performance practices of the era such as ornamentation. Singers and instrumentalists who present their videos accompanied by a pianist will perform their piece accompanied by a harpsichordist provided by the Bach Society of Charleston, if selected for the recital. We look forward to hearing from you.
- The candidates will complete the application form found below and will submit it together with a YouTube video link with two contrasting selections of Baroque repertoire no longer than 10 minutes in total length. The selected pieces may consist of two contrasting movements from a larger work, two different and contrasting pieces by the same composer or by different composers.
- The deadline for submitting the application form and video is Monday, December 16, 2019.
- The video must display all the performers at all times and should be recorded from the front.
- All entrants must abide by federal copyright law.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
- The selected students for the recital may be asked to perform only one piece which will be chosen by the jury. The selected repertoire for the audition will remain unchanged for the March recital unless there is a specific suggestion from the judges.
- Students who were previously selected to perform two years in a row, are not eligible to apply for this year’s auditions. Nevertheless, we highly encourage them to audition for the 2021 Young Artists Concert.
DEADLINE DECEMBER 16, 2019